Wednesday, October 5, 2022

[Hamsini - Non-core post 4] AI Bill of Rights

The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (currently helmed by Alondra Nelson, an STS scholar!) just released what they're calling a "Blueprint for an AI Bill of Rights": a set of principles for those developing and implementing automated systems. https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/ai-bill-of-rights/#human


On the one hand, I think this is a really impressive achievement to have these issues framed in this way at the policy level. On the other, I wonder how much accountability is attached to it.

More broadly, I find this interesting to think about in terms of the relationship between STS in academia and how well it translates (or doesn't) to the policy world (as we've talked about a bit with Wendy Chun), as well as for considering how we're bounding our understandings of the real and potential harms of automated systems and deploying "civil rights" as a framework in response. Based on our readings this week, does this seem adequate?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.