https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-takes-away-twitter-workers-days-of-rest-2022-11
Linked above, a story on the changing work culture at Twitter under its unfortunate new owner. Taking away pandemic-induced company-wide "days of rest" (without telling the people affected!), the demand to prioritize on "Elon-critical projects," normalizing the expectation to work "literally 24/7" -- all of it alongside a ~50% slash in employees. No one's surprised, right?
And a personal question: are people leaving Twitter? If you are, where are you going instead?
Blog post 8/10 (Hyejoo)
ReplyDeleteI deleted my Twitter last weekend after hearing all the news! I also have a friend (now formerly at Twitter) who was included in that -50% slash and that was more incentive for me to leave Twitter. Which is a shame because I actually really enjoyed that space.
It's befitting to delete Twitter during our class' week on labor as, in a way, we can understand staying on the platform, feeding it engagement, letting the company mine our usage for data... as "free labor" we as users give away. That is the cost of using the website. But with Musk at the helm now I personally can't bear the thought of giving away any more "labor" to the site!